- Encumbrance, rations, time, light sources, etc. WILL matter.
- Languages may become important. Everyone starts with what their race gives them plus any INT-based bonus slots. I have a list of possible languages.
- Running away is OK sometimes.
- Mapping is up to players.
- To speed up play, it’s fine to determine an SOP for things like entering/searching a room, but sometimes there are special circumstances that may obviate them.
- Character(s) will almost certainly die at some point. New PCs start one level below party average, using same basic rules as above.
- Speaking of hirelings, you should really consider using them. Also, they are not fanatics, so be prepared for them to balk if you use them too callously.